Monday, May 2, 2011

Bacon and Sundried Tomato Pasta with Spinach

I confess that my weakness is and always will be pasta; any size, shape or colour. My love affair with the mighty noodle started in childhood when my mom would always put an Asian spin on classic Italian dishes.

As I grew up and started finding my way around the kitchen, I started experimenting with various dishes and adding my own touches and tastes to tried and true recipes. This is a new one. I’ve taken things readily available and made it into something fresh, tasty and best of all, simple.


For this recipe you will need:
• 1 lb of Farfalle
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 4 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 lb of bacon
• ½ cup julienned sundried tomatoes,
packed in oil

• 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
• 1 cup heavy cream, more if needed to thin out the sauce
• 1 tbsp butter
• 2 tbsp reserved bacon grease
• 1 tbsp chopped chives
• 1 tbsp chopped oregano
• Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the pasta according to package directions. Don’t forget to salt the water! I love farfalle. It has so many nooks and crannies and crevices for the sauce to cling to. I also just love saying farfalle. Try it, you’ll love saying it too!

Cut the bacon into 1 inch pieces and put into a skillet on medium heat.

Cook until most of the fat has rendered (that’s such a funny word, rendered. Yes, I am weird) but not overly crisp.

You want the bacon to still be soft. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon pieces to a plate lined with paper towel to drain excess fat. Pour off most of the grease, reserving about 2 tablespoons (those bits stuck to the bottom is going to impart such flavour to the sauce).

On medium heat, add the diced onion and garlic and butter.

Cook until onion is translucent. Don’t forget to add salt and pepper. Next, throw in the sundried tomatoes, once heated through, pour in the cream.

Season the sauce according to your taste. Just a note, some brands of sundried tomatoes are salty so you’ll want to taste before adding in any more salt.

Next, add in the spinach leaves and toss then dump in most of the cooked farfalle, you’ll want to have enough to coat everything.

Now throw in your chopped chives and oregano (I got mine from my garden) and toss.

Do this quickly as you only want the spinach to wilt.

Grab the nearest plate and fork and serve.

Inhale the plate in front of you, repeat.

images (c)citygirlscapes

No comments:

Post a Comment