Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Spicy Tofu and Spinach in a Mapo Inspired Sauce

A while back I had the oddest craving for tofu. But I was tired of the fried tofu and wanted something spicy and saucy (like me!). It just so happened that I got my Good Food Box that day, which came with a lovely fresh bunch of spinach. It all came together in a snap and I knew what I had to do.


For this recipe you will need:

• 1 package of medium firm tofu (400 grams)
• 1 bunch of spinach, washed
• 3 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons black bean paste
• 2 tablespoons chili paste
• 1 tablespoon hot chili pepper flakes
• 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
• 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
• 1 tsp sesame seed oil
• 2 tablespoons corn starch
• 3 tablespoons water

In a small bowl, add in the black bean paste, chili paste, pepper flakes, oyster sauce, wine and oil. Stir to combine. I always add in a splash of water since I like it really saucy. Set aside.

Wash and drain the spinach. Cut the tofu into 1 inch cubes.

Set your wok on medium high heat, add a splash of oil and the minced garlic. Fry until golden brown, then add in the tofu. Cook until heated through.

Add in the bean paste sauce and stir. Cook until the sauce bubbles.


Add in the spinach. Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix together the corn starch and water. Once the spinach has wilted, stir in the corn starch mixture. Cook until sauce thickens.



Serve over rice and enjoy!


pictures (c) CityGirlScapes

No comments:

Post a Comment