Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Book Review: The Almond Tree


I was sent a copy of The Almond Tree through Good Reads and I'm ashamed to admit that I kept putting off reading it. It seemed like a book with plenty of heavy content, which I'm not usually deterred by, but this somehow felt different. More real. 

And I know that I am not very knowledgeable about the conflict between Israelis and Palestinians, so it was a little intimidating. But I'm so glad I picked it up.

The Almond Tree is definitely full of heavy content, right from the very start. The dangerous conditions and horrible situations are bluntly laid out. But not in a vicious way. It's written so well, almost adding a strange element of beauty to the horrors that are happening. 

You can tell that Cohen Corasanti had a life changing experience that resonated deeply within her. Her novel has that same effect. This is a story that I won't forget, one of those reads that will always haunt your memory and change your perspective on things you may have taken for granted otherwise.

The Almond Tree is available at your favourite bookstore.

City Girls Rating: five out of five glasses of wine

No comments:

Post a Comment